Monday, May 04, 2015

Man Cave Week 1: Attitude

Good day gents!

As mentioned in my introductory post, the focus of this week is Attitude. This not only means in relation to being a Real Man, but also how it applies overall toward the Christian approach to life.
So naturally, we begin with the obvious question: what is proper Attitude? Too often we’re confronted by images in society and the media that would have you believe that Attitude is exemplified as a boisterous and sneering thug who attempts to overwhelm the world around him through sheer obnoxiousness.

But the truth is not so simple. Attitude is simply a way of thinking and acting regarding people, situations and things. Sure, the thug can rightly claim to possess Attitude, but his is only one of many (and one not likely to be successful). Such an attitude is more likely to inhibit success because it inspires resentment and anger (aka negative Attitudes) in others, and I would argue that a lack of success is certainly not becoming of a Real Man. It would seem to me that there must be a better attitude out there.


But what does the Bible have to say regarding attitude? Two passages have struck me in trying to find an answer for that:

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Romans 5: 1-2

“Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.” Proverbs 31: 23

The first reflects an attitude of inner peace resulting from faith. Through this Attitude of peace a gratitude, the Godly man is able to stand and rejoice (bringing forth positivity). The second shows that the Godly Man has an Attitude reflecting honor, which likewise inspires more honor from standing among the pillars of a man’s community (and makes the ladies happy too). The Real Man then builds and maintains a positive attitude rooted in faith. He builds up the positive attitude of others and positions himself where he is needed. He builds success.


These are all traits that I need to remember when I’m going about my life, as I often find myself possessing a negative Attitude. I need to remember that it is more constructive for me as a man to build up others, rather than succumbing to the negative desire to attack.

In trying to develop a Real Man’s Attitude, the following questions should be asked throughout the week: Is my Attitude contributing to positive or negative attitudes of others? Does my attitude reflect faith? Is my Attitude bringing honor to myself and others? How successful is my Attitude allowing me to be?

I hope that my reflecting on Attitude will help all of you in considering what it means to be a Real Man. Have a great week!

-Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment